Medical Job Description and Profile:
This position is responsible for the overall functioning of the medical office. The person in this capacity can be expected to constantly look for ways to save costs by making processes more efficient. All support staff report into this position and hence the applicant must possess managerial capabilities and would be responsible for staffing and performance management. This position also demands a good knowledge of all aspects of medical office operations like billing, coding and collections, appointment scheduling and medical records maintenance. Drawing up policies and procedures and ensuring that all follow the set procedures is an important task of this position.
Medical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Must be thorough with practices and methodologies in the medical field
- Responsible for preparing policies and procedures with regard to overall functioning
- Responsible for all support staff – recruitment, retention and performance management
- Liable for the proper functioning of various departments like billing, coding and collections, appointment scheduling, medical records maintenance
- Accountable for budgeting and for making it a profit center
- Top quality customer service is an important responsibility
Medical Education, Training and Qualifications:
A bachelor’s degree from a reputed institute, in a related field, like medical and health services administration or hospital management is desirable. An associate degree in health administration or business management is also a way to gain entry into the field. Quality control certifications like Six Sigma and CMM (Certified Medical Manager) are highly recommended. CMPE (Certified Medical Practice Executive certification would also be a value ads.
Medical Degrees, Courses & Certification:
A four year bachelor’s degree in medical and health services administration, two year associate degree in health administration, business management or hospital management would be ideal. Quality training in Six Sigma, Certifications from medical bodies like Certified Medical Manager (CMM) from The Professional Association of Health Care Office Managers (PAHCOM), various certifications from Medical Group Management Association (MGMA) and Certified Medical Practice Executive (CMPE) from the American College of Medical Practice Executives (ACMPE) would be an added advantage.
Medical Skills and Specifications:
- Must be extremely efficient, methodical and ingenious
- Must be adaptable and able to function well in a fast paced environment
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Adept in budgeting skills and practices
- Strong decision making skills and an eye for detail
- Must be a team worker and possess leadership skills
The salary for this position ranges from $273,000 to $534,000 with a median range of $378,000.
See Medical sample job description, free job description template, free Medical job descriptions, other samples or templates.